Today the news came in and I still can't believe them - I was awarded the vExpert status for the first time. Words cannot describe how suprised and happy I am. Allow me to quote the email which woke me up this morning:
It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to the vExpert program.
Thank you for your contributions to the community! The vExpert program is designed to aid in your success and help amplify your external brands and channels. So whether you are a external evangelist or a internal champion we want to be sure you have the resources needed for the program so you can be more successful. These resources below will give you an idea of the program and opportunities as well as provide tools to help you reach additional users in your audience. If you have not read the the official VMware vExpert Announcement, please do so now. I'll wait untill you're done.
The VMware vExpert program is VMware's global evangelism and advocacy program. The program is designed to put VMware's marketing resources towards your advocacy efforts. Promotion of your articles, exposure at our global events, co-op advertising, traffic analysis, and early access to beta programs and VMware's roadmap. The awards are for individuals, not companies, and last for one year.
If you are interested in becoming a vExpert the criteria is simple. VMware is looking for IT Professionals who are sharing their VMware knowledge and contributing that back to the community. The term "giving back" is defined as going above and beyond your day job. There are several ways to share your knowledge and engage with the community. Some of those activities are blogging, book authoring, magazine articles, CloudCred task writing, active in facebook groups, forum (VMTN as well as other non VMware) platforms, public speaking, VMUG leadership, videos and so on.
The process to apply is easy, twice per calendar year, VMware opens application portal for a period of 30 days. Once the 30 days are over VMware closes the application portal and start voting which takes 30 to 45 days. Applications open for each calendar year in November/December and results are announced in February. The application portal opens again to 2nd half applications in June with an August announcement. Every vExpert, VCDX as well as any new applicants must apply at least once per year.
vExpert Program Benefits
- Invite to a private, vExpert only, #Slack channel,
- vExpert certificate signed by VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger,
- Private forums on communities.vmware.com,
- Permission to use the vExpert logo on cards, website, etc for one year,
- Access to a private directory for networking, etc.,
- Exclusive gifts from various VMware partners,
- Private webinars with VMware partners as well as NFRs (Veeam, Zerto etc.)
- Access to private betas (subject to admission by beta teams),
- 365-day eval licenses for most products for home lab/cloud providers,
- Private pre-launch briefings via our blogger briefing pre-VMworld,
- Blogger early access program for vSphere and some other products,
- Featured in a public vExpert online directory,
- Access to vetted VMware & Virtualization content for your social channels,
- Yearly vExpert parties at both VMworld US and VMworld Europe events,
- Identification as a vExpert at both VMworld US and VMworld EU.
Now, having all that said, it is time for me to use - for the very first time - my vExpert badge: